Overview of ASX300
The following table provides an overview of the ASX300 in relation to the use of GEEPs.
The data indicates that the use of GEEPs increases as company size grows. This is unsurprising as most plans are of limited value, cumbersome and involve significant company cost in addition to the costs of administration. However, there are strong reasons for companies to reconsider the use of GEEPs and which, in no particular order of importance, include:
- the recent development of more cost effective plans, including one which is likely to be cost neutral in normal circumstances,
- the growing recognition of the need for improved employee engagement and participation,
- the focus on organisational culture and its flow-on impact on customer service and shareholder risk,
- community, political and RBA pressure on companies to respond to stagnant employee pay levels,
- continued expressions by the Government and other external stakeholders that employee share ownership should be encouraged and expanded in the interests of all stakeholders, by sharing wealth creation opportunity and increasing fairness, and
- ongoing concerns about the government seeking ways to increase taxing of superannuation which will lead to superannuation being less appealing as a retirement saving vehicle.
Plan Type Usage
The following tables present plan type usage by company for sectors and indices.
The following observations relate to usage of GEEPs among the ASX 300 constituents:
- Despite its limitations, the Tax Exempt Plan (TEP) is the most widely used, and on occasion in combination with another plan.
- The Salary Sacrifice Share Plan (SSSP) is the second most frequently used plan although to a much lesser extent than the TEP, probably due to its restrictions and lack of flexibility.
- Other variations to the TEP and SSSP plans have been used but to a minor extent.
- The recently emerging Share Save Plan is starting to gain traction due to its flexibility and superior benefits for both company and employees.
Please contact GRG for more information regarding the Share Save Plan. It has all the real benefits that come from utilising a GEEP without the limitations, restrictions, costs or burdens that apply to TEPs and SSSPs.